Thursday 20 November 2014

Amster-damn good jewellery

Amsterdamn good jewellery

I know Amsterdam is famous for all it's hidden design treasures, trippy pleasures and cosy beer incensed pubs but I'm a jewellery geek and gem wise, it was flipping inspiring! There are tons of galleries and designers but I'll give you my picks from my little visit.

First of all the 13th edition of Sieraad art fair was on when I visited in November and it's a jewellery blast in your face. About 160 designers from 28 different countries around the world present and promote their work directly and on the spot in the Westergasfabriek (don't need to know Dutch to get that it is West and was a gas factory) On my Christmas wish list is a kinetic ring by Merav O Roth and  a plique a jour wing earring by Ching-chih Wu, just to give you  a little insight on what was on, but Sieraad deserves an article for it's self so i'll be back with with that soon.

Ching - Chih Wu

Merav O Roth


A true experience was Ra Gallery... it felt as if all objects where picked by some jewellery god himself. It is a proper Art gallery focusing on the concept of vessels with every piece a unique creation that stops your breathing for just a second. All beautiful with intriguing textures, colours, forms that take technique to different level. I adored Frieda Doerfer's grand texture necklaces, Floor Mommersteeg's lightweight and transparent heart and Tanel Veenre's dramatic seahorse complexes.

 
Floor Mommersteeg
Frieda Doerfer
Tanel Veenre
For a really warm jewellery encounter however you have to pass by TNLP, a concept store organised by the one and only Giulia from Italy. The New Label Project is a place where designers or artists can 'rent' a box and show their work for a period of time, no commissions, no other worries and Giulia does the rest.  So designers find a their spot and you can go through a really cute selection of jewellery, clothes and small art pieces by 70 designers from different parts of Europe. One is in fact my friend Cindy, check her RAW gems with her intriguing creations of silver, pearls and chains, so complex but yet so light and minimal. Giulia gave me a tour while the soundtrack of "Start Again" was playing in the background and when she told me "I am my best customer" I realised that this little Amsterdam spot is her dream come true. 



Giulia in her TNLP beautiful world 


No comments:

Post a Comment